Women and the Spirit of the New Deal
October 5 and 6, 2018
Berkeley Faculty Club, Berkeley, CA
In collaboration with the Living New Deal and the National New Deal Preservation Association the Frances Perkins Center co-hosted “Women and the Spirit of the New Deal,” at the University of California, Berkeley. The gathering filled a significant gap in understanding about the New Deal—the crucial role of women in guiding its programs.
“Women and the Spirit of the New Deal” featured leading writers, scholars, and activists. Click here to view the program, presenters, and conference schedule.
Enjoy videos of the various conference panels and presentations:
Presentation of 2018 Intelligence & Courage Award to Robert Reich by Sarah Peskin, Chair of the Board, Frances Perkins Center and Dr. Sandra Smith, Professor and Chair of the Board, UC Berkeley Department of Sociology. Remarks by Dr. Robert Reich.
Reception honoring Dr. Robert Reich, Frances Perkins Center Honoree 2018.
Introductions by Dr. Christopher Breiseth, Board member, Frances Perkins Center and National New Deal Preservation Association and Tomlin Perkins Coggeshall, founder of the Frances Perkins Center and grandson of Frances Perkins
Welcome, Dr. Richard Walker, Director, The Living New Deal and Susan Ives, Women and the Spirit of the New Deal, Conference Coordinator.
“In the Spirit of Eleanor Roosevelt”, Dr. John Roosevelt Boettiger, Grandson
of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.
“Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way”, Robin Gerber.
“Frances Perkins, the Woman Behind the New Deal”, Kirstin Downey.
Panel: “Women of the New Deal” – Moderator: Elizabeth Partridge
- Ashley Dennis, Mary McLeod Bethune and the National Youth Administration
- Dr. Stephanie Anne Johnson, The Harlem Renaissance and the New Deal, Artists Augusta Savage and Gwendolyn Bennett
- Brigid O’Farrell, Eleanor Roosevelt and the American Worker
- Susan Quinn, The California Connection: Hallie Flanagan and the Federal Theater Project; Eleanor Roosevelt and Lorena Hickok
“Toward a New New Deal…and the Women Shall Lead”, Dr. Eileen Boris, Professor of Feminist Studies, UC Santa Barbara.
Panel: “Women and the Spirit of the New Deal Today”
Moderator: Dr. Rachel Brahinsky, Assistant Professor, University of San Francisco
- Susannah Delano, Executive Director, Close the Gap CA
- Dr. Angela Marino, Associate Professor, Theater, Dance & Performance, Latin/o American Studies, UC Berkeley
- Hon. Gayle McLaughlin, Former Mayor of Richmond; Co-founder Richmond Progressive Alliance
- Susan Sachen, Campaign & Field Director, California Labor Federation
- Dyanna Taylor, Filmmaker, PBS Documentary, Dorothea Lange, Grab a Hunk of Lightning. Granddaughter of Dorothea Lange
Left to right: Dr. Christopher Breiseth, Kirstin Downey, Dr. Robert Reich, Sarah Peskin, Tomlin Perkins Coggeshall, and Christopher Rice.